CyberTruck?

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

CyberTruck?

Post by dan_b »

So it seems the Tesla Cybertruck is finally going to start going into the hands of eager buyers in the US. I've done some reading so you don't have to!

3x versions in much the same way as other Teslas

Base RWD Single Motor
Dual Motor AWD Long Range
"CyberBeast" Trimotor (Equivalent to the Plaid in S/X)

So far so expected.

Prices are a lot more than originally touted back in 2019 as the Base model starts at around $60k, going to almost 100k for the "Beast".

And range is a lot less than originally touted too - 250 miles for the entry level one, 320 for the Dual Motor Long range and 310 for the Beast - no surprise there really as you can't change the laws physics - and no idea on what drive cycle that's based on but real world range will obviously be less.

But it does have some new features. Will be the first Tesla to offer Vehicle to Load - very interesting and very useful as it can output up to 11kW.

There's also a "Range Extender" battery pack which you can "drop in" to the bed for more kWh on the move. Will apparently add about 100miles of range, so must be a battery of at least 30-40kWh. Takes up 1/3 of the rear bed space - gonna be heavy!

The damn thing is huge and heavy though that much is obvious. Base version weighs 3Tons.

Battery size/design hasn't been officially announced, but speculation is that it's using the 4680 cells with the base model having 123kWh battery pack. Speculation that it's 800V architecture compared to the 400 ish volts of all other Teslas so far. Still has 250kW max charging rate though so maybe it's not 800V afterall?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Stinsy

Re: CyberTruck?

Post by Stinsy »

dan_b wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:05 pm So it seems the Tesla Cybertruck is finally going to start going into the hands of eager buyers in the US. I've done some reading so you don't have to!

3x versions in much the same way as other Teslas

Base RWD Single Motor
Dual Motor AWD Long Range
"CyberBeast" Trimotor (Equivalent to the Plaid in S/X)

So far so expected.

Prices are a lot more than originally touted back in 2019 as the Base model starts at around $60k, going to almost 100k for the "Beast".

And range is a lot less than originally touted too - 250 miles for the entry level one, 320 for the Dual Motor Long range and 310 for the Beast - no surprise there really as you can't change the laws physics - and no idea on what drive cycle that's based on but real world range will obviously be less.

But it does have some new features. Will be the first Tesla to offer Vehicle to Load - very interesting and very useful as it can output up to 11kW.

There's also a "Range Extender" battery pack which you can "drop in" to the bed for more kWh on the move. Will apparently add about 100miles of range, so must be a battery of at least 30-40kWh. Takes up 1/3 of the rear bed space - gonna be heavy!

The damn thing is huge and heavy though that much is obvious. Base version weighs 3Tons.

Battery size/design hasn't been officially announced, but speculation is that it's using the 4680 cells with the base model having 123kWh battery pack. Speculation that it's 800V architecture compared to the 400 ish volts of all other Teslas so far. Still has 250kW max charging rate though so maybe it's not 800V afterall?
Let's face it Americans were never going to adopt BEVs in LEAF-shaped form factors. Therefore, while the CyberTruck definitely isn't for me, I'm glad there is a BEV option for those who don't chose sensible cars.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
richbee

Post by richbee »

On a totally random, but slightly connected note - I had wondered before why Tesla have the 'Plaid' model and also 'Ludicrous' mode.
I watched that very silly 'classic' 80s movie Spaceballs yesterday - and both terms appear in that movie, relating to hyperspace travel - Is Elon a Spaceballs fan???
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Precisely that!
richbee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:34 pm On a totally random, but slightly connected note - I had wondered before why Tesla have the 'Plaid' model and also 'Ludicrous' mode.
I watched that very silly 'classic' 80s movie Spaceballs yesterday - and both terms appear in that movie, relating to hyperspace travel - Is Elon a Spaceballs fan???
Mart

Post by Mart »

richbee wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:34 pm On a totally random, but slightly connected note - I had wondered before why Tesla have the 'Plaid' model and also 'Ludicrous' mode.
About halfway through the movie, Yogurt (not Yoda) looks at all the Spaceballs movie tat that they plan to sell, such as lunchboxes. One item they mention is a Spaceballs flamethrower ...... hence the Boring Company 'not a flamethrower', that they sold.

John Candy's great line as Barf, the Chewbacca type character - "I'm a Mog, half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend."

May the Schwartz be with you.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

My post is already out of date.

Apparently it is an 800V battery pack. The 250kW max charge rate is on V3 Superchargers. Plug it into a V4 Supercharger (which we have seen is capable of up to 1000V) and it'll take 350kW.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

The 48v / 800v architecture is a big deal.

The production version is smaller than anticipated.

Market wanted less range so they forgo the extra weight.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Soz if it’s slightly off topic or been shown before.

Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:17 pm My post is already out of date.

Apparently it is an 800V battery pack. The 250kW max charge rate is on V3 Superchargers. Plug it into a V4 Supercharger (which we have seen is capable of up to 1000V) and it'll take 350kW.
Hopefully the bigger batt and faster charging, will help those concerned about the range of a BEV PU truck.

Just musing, but if a LR range 3 or Y can hold 200kW+ to about 50% SOC, then that's roughly equivalent to having ~37kWh left to fill. So if the CT is around 125kWh, then maybe it could hold 200kW+ to around 70% SOC (37kWh left to fill). No idea if that's how the maths works? But if it can charge to 70%(ish) at 350kW down to 200kW, then at around 20mins, that will help a lot.

PS. Anyone understand the physics of the truckpull. How could the CT outpull a bigger and heavier Ford F-350 diesel with 318ft v's 263ft? I get the weight, tyre/grip issues, but does this mean the CT could apply more torque, at lower speeds, so thereby demonstrating the advantages of a motor with instant torque, v's an engine with a torque curve?
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Other truck had road tyres the Tesla all terrain tyres which make a huge difference in the truck pull.