Is this going to be the UK cheapest EV offering?

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
Stinsy

Re: Is this going to be the UK cheapest EV offering?

Post by Stinsy »

Every other car found my way is a Dacia Duster…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

smegal wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:48 pm
Moxi wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 am https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/dac ... 909a&ei=48

This could be a real game changer for some folk.

Moxi
I'm not sure how much difference it'll make in reality. Dacia make some of the cheapest ICE cars and they've hardly disrupted the market.
A budget electric car that is cheaper than many ICE equivalents - I think it will be quite disruptive to ICE and EV pricing and sales.

Moxi
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Blimey that Citroen is an ugly 'car' isnt it. :hysteria: Battery not much bigger than my Pylons.

What i dont understand, maybe ive just not seen one as i drive a (sorry) diesel, is why nobody is offering a 'plug in' booster/extender battery oack that you could chuck in the boot? . I get the weight/portability issue, but if you could do that sort of thing im sure it would attract a wider market.

Ive mentioned this to a family member who is on the board of directors @ Steatite, so id imagine interested in such things, but nope, not even slightly interested as a business.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

resybaby wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:08 pm Blimey that Citroen is an ugly 'car' isnt it. :hysteria: Battery not much bigger than my Pylons.

What i dont understand, maybe ive just not seen one as i drive a (sorry) diesel, is why nobody is offering a 'plug in' booster/extender battery oack that you could chuck in the boot? . I get the weight/portability issue, but if you could do that sort of thing im sure it would attract a wider market.

Ive mentioned this to a family member who is on the board of directors @ Steatite, so id imagine interested in such things, but nope, not even slightly interested as a business.
Maybe because you have to splice in a complete new drive train (and find somewhere for it?) Not just batts but all the controls - interfaced with the ICE - and then a "sometimes on" electric motor built in to the existing power train. Or, instead, "just" an additional electric motor or pair of them added to the unpowered rear wheels of the car, but it's still a lot of work/a major modification.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

And here was me thinking you could just have an additional port wired into the vehicles existing electric system, a caravan typesocket if you will, that you could just plugin a similar specced battery pack into and use the existing motors/controls.

I must have Pylontechs and their ease of expansion making it seem easier than it is n reality.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
iBoost HW divertor
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

resybaby wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:26 pm And here was me thinking you could just have an additional port wired into the vehicles existing electric system, a caravan typesocket if you will, that you could just plugin a similar specced battery pack into and use the existing motors/controls.

I must have Pylontechs and their ease of expansion making it seem easier than it is n reality.
A company in holland offered extension packs for the Leaf for a while, then sadly they didn't. :(

Apparently the canbus connection is the trick to achieve.

We have Ami & Twizzy knocking about in the village in Turkey. The Ami lives up on the mountain at night as I've seen it there and know the cafe owner who has it. These wee EV's are a bit more than just city cars when.pushed. 👏

BYD are now on my list of EV's to watch out for. See if they come out with something closer to our niche.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

I was talking to the wife about the Ami last night.
Her elderly mother has a pristine 12 plate Corsa, bought it new.
It goes to Tesco one day a week, a round trip of 3 miles, and nowhere else.
I kid you not, it does 300 miles per year maximum! I do the tax for it online for her
Bunged its details in Weybuyanycar and they will give her £5800 for it.
I suggested that the MIL flogs it and buys an Ami instead, as pretty much cost neutral, and absolutely spot on for her use.

My suggestion was roundly and robustly, err. . . refused, but on the positive side i managed to confirm that i can still escape from a room quicker than a frying pan flys in one atmospheric pressure.

Apparantly my wife has travelled to tescos a few times with her mom in the past, and would sooner carry her mom on her shoulders together with the shopping than go there in an Ami during daylight hours.

I struggled to disagree and am pleased to report the bruises are fading this morning
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
iBoost HW divertor
600min Loft insulation
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

at that price I could have get one and saved money by going on to the Octopus EV tariff even if we never drove it!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Phoooby

Post by Phoooby »

"why nobody is offering a 'plug in' booster/extender battery oack that you could chuck in the boot?"

Like this ?

dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Saw an Ami today!
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work