Another road trip

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

Re: Another road trip

Post by dan_b »

Yeah I assumed blue hydrogen was some sort of greenwashing terminology.
I bet there's no way to actually show/prove that any CCS was performed on the H2 and where the CO2 got sequestered? From what I understand, the plants where they do use CCS, the CO2 captured is actually just used to push more oil and gas back out of the wells anyway, so it just results in even more fossil fuel production/burn.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Realised I missed a Star Wars related gag with my trip to Kassel.   I should have said I made it in less than 12 parsecs…
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

dan_b wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:21 am Realised I missed a Star Wars related gag with my trip to Kassel.   I should have said I made it in less than 12 parsecs…
:lol: :lol:
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Quick update - back in London now.

Final trip to Kassel and back was
1021 miles
Total energy consumption was 305KWh
Average of 299Wh/mile.

Return journey was wet, cold, dark, and into a very strong Westerly wind all of which sapped the juice.
Started with 90% having charged up on the 1x single AC charger (3x phase though!) in the hotel car park in the morning.

Drove 197 miles in the evening on that charge to Eindhoven, arrived with 11%, averaging 285Wh/mile - car claimed that the headwind cost me 11% of range!

where I stopped overnight and charged up to 100% on the Allegro AC charger (3x phase again!). Activated that with my Octopus Electroverse Card. (strangely enough don't seem to have been billed for it yet).

Sunday morning and back on the road - drove the whole way to Eurotunnel Calais on a single charge, managed to get my first Autopilot Ban due to "inattentiveness" (monitored by the internal camera). so stopped en route for a coffee and some fresh air and to let the thing give me back Autopilot!

Drove past a literal forest of roadside windturbines - amazingly elegant.

So that was 182 miles, averaged 329Wh/mile for that stint, again the headwind was really killing the efficiency, but wasn't too bothered as charged up at the Eurotunnel Supercharger for the final leg back to London.

What did I learn?
Yes you can do long journeys in EVs - we know this already, but it's worth remembering.

On de-restricted Autobahns, the Model 3 is hilariously quick. And the brakes are excellent. And both of those things mean you eat electrons like they're going out of fashion. But again we know this!

I remembered just how tightly integrated the Tesla Supercharger Network is into the Car's navigation system. And unfortunately, how loosely integrated are the non-Tesla chargers into the same platform. I saw many many Fastned, Ionity and other rapid sites on the many service stations en route, but as far as my car was concerned, they didn't exist. Which is annoying.

That headwind on the way back - was clearly what's been giving us all so much cheap wind power in the last few days, but it really did reduce range. But at least I had that information to hand so didn't need to worry why my consumption was so high relative to the speed I was doing.

The new camera-based driver monitoring in the Tesla is an absolute nag bag. Fortunately you can disable it completely with a piece of sticky tape over the lens. Which I have done!
Last edited by dan_b on Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Glad it was a successful trip, helps dispel range anxiety talk!