Re-branded Tesla Superchargers

All things related to vehicles - EVs, transport, fuels
dan_b

Re-branded Tesla Superchargers

Post by dan_b »

Well this is interesting.

Petrol Forecourt company EG Group has agreed a deal to purchase and install/run Tesla Superchargers under its own charging brand "EVPoint"
Not heard of this being done before?

https://www.eg.group/news/eg-group-to-a ... uk-europe/
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Re: Re-branded Tesla Superchargers

Post by Moxi »

Just read about that this morning, its exciting for folk in Wales as EG seem to be installing new chargers all over the place, its not yet a year since I got the EV6 and in the first months it was a bit squeaky making sure we had enough charger alternate options when going anywhere, but now its not an issue as every week there seem to be more and more appearing, especially in North Wales which had a reputation of being a desert for charging.

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

BP announced similar late last month for the US.

I'm assuming the article is slightly misleading, and they will be buying Tesla sueperchargers, to deploy under their brand name, not buying the UK Tesla Supercharger network, as that would be staggering news?

[Edit - Apologies Dan, I'd just read two other articles, both saying that Asda was to buy Tesla's UK supercharger network. This article is far better. M.]

Rumours based on subsidy applications for charging stations in the US, have suggested Tesla can deploy a charger for around $45k, with the other companies at about $150k each.

Here's the US news:

Why BP Bought $100 Million Worth of Tesla Charging Hardware
bp pulse, the EV charging business of bp, has announced an exciting deal to acquire ultra-fast charging hardware units from Tesla for a whopping $100 million. This significant investment will not only fuel the expansion of the bp pulse public network across the United States, but will also empower EV fleet customers by deploying chargers at bp’s private depots.

Expect to start seeing these bp pulse–branded chargers show up in a variety of places. The rollout of bp pulse’s EV charging stations is set to begin in 2024. It will include key sites across the bp family of brands and third-party locations, such as Hertz. Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington D.C. are among the first cities to have installations. Other bp brands that will get these stations include TravelCenters of America, Thorntons, ampm, and Amoco, as well as at bp pulse’s large-scale Gigahub charging sites.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
John_S

Post by John_S »

Moxi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:35 am Just read about that this morning, its exciting for folk in Wales as EG seem to be installing new chargers all over the place, its not yet a year since I got the EV6 and in the first months it was a bit squeaky making sure we had enough charger alternate options when going anywhere, but now its not an issue as every week there seem to be more and more appearing, especially in North Wales which had a reputation of being a desert for charging.

Moxi
Hi
Which brand do EG use for their chargers? I cannot find a charger map on their website, nor on ZapMap.

I am going to Snowdonia in January and charging looks a bit of a nightmare.

John
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi John,

EG seem to use various brands at their services and garages, for example they have a pair of 50kW on both the east and west bound A55 services (kinmel park services) they are EVpoint units, also theres a 50kW charger at Bangor services, reliable but usually busy,

Theres a pair of 50's at Blaenau Ffestioniog (Swarco E connect), Porthmadog has a pair of 50's also swarco, and there are more around and about, there are 6 or 8 being installed at Barmouth but I don't think they are commissioned yet, two 50's at Dollgellau etc etc

What rout are you taking in to Snowdon ? theres 8 120kw instavolt units at Rhug and the old A5 route is peppered with 50's and 150's of various types.

happy to point you to the right areas if you let me know your route in to snowdon

Moxi
John_S

Post by John_S »

Moxi wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:01 pm Hi John,

EG seem to use various brands at their services and garages, for example they have a pair of 50kW on both the east and west bound A55 services (kinmel park services) they are EVpoint units, also theres a 50kW charger at Bangor services, reliable but usually busy,

Theres a pair of 50's at Blaenau Ffestioniog (Swarco E connect), Porthmadog has a pair of 50's also swarco, and there are more around and about, there are 6 or 8 being installed at Barmouth but I don't think they are commissioned yet, two 50's at Dollgellau etc etc

What rout are you taking in to Snowdon ? theres 8 120kw instavolt units at Rhug and the old A5 route is peppered with 50's and 150's of various types.

happy to point you to the right areas if you let me know your route in to snowdon

Moxi
Thanks.

I am staying at the Snowdon Ranger Youth hostel and I am coming in and out on the M56 as my son lives near Warrington. Good excuse to visit him and my first grandson. Rhug looks useful although it is a bit slower coming that way, although I won't be pushed for time.
There is a 22 kW Swarco near the YH but I have heard bad reports on their reliability when using the App or a credit card and they do not appear to be on the Electroverse network.

John
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Hi John,

If you are coming down the expressway I would say you will be spoilt for choice,

Starting at Gateway to Wales services theres a 150 Instavolt at the Mcdonalds and then about 5 miles further on a 1 mile detour from the expressway gets you to flint mountain hotel and golf course where there are 8 tesla chargers that are open to the public.

Then theres the singing kettle services with a 50KW EV point, theres another 150 instavolt at Rhyl Mcdonalds but thats 3 miles from the expressway and you pass a 50Kw at the hotel in Denbigh, then theres the two ev points at Kinmel services - then it goes a bit quet until you get past Llandudno and theres a little gem hidden just off the expressway in a holiday park where there are two 150 instavolts (note I have only ever got 120KW but thats plenty fast) you need to look out for Darwin Escapes, just pull up to the barrier and ask if you could please use the chargers and they will waive you through.

Another similar set up (never used them myself yet) is Rhyd Y Galen Caravan park which is probably the nearest 50kW to where you will be staying not 24 hrs but if you ring ahead they are friendly and will accommodate your charge requirements

Rhyd Y Galen Caravan And Camping Park
www.wales-camping.co.uk
Bethel, Caernarfon LL55 1UL · ~5.7 mi
01286 650216

After that is the chargers I mentioned previously, as I say 9 months on from getting my EV 6 and we now have a good number of chargers around the area meaning there's always something within distance if your first option is busy.

My choices would probably be Blainau Ffestiniog, Darwin Escapes, and the East and West Kinmel Services as most likely to be available.

Hope that helps

oh and pack your water proofs the weathers been quite foul lately and thats saying something!

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

Also the Flint and Aberystwyth Tesla stations are open to all, but the Aberystwyth location is more expensive than most SC's.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
ecogeorge

Post by ecogeorge »

Stopped in Cardiff West (M4) today for lunch (sat in works van -too tight to go in) and saw 12 High capacity chargers in car park . All empty :o
George

1600w Vertical PV micro inverters
2000w almost horizontal/south
Aarrow Becton 7 Woodburner
Dream 3kw ASHP only connected to summer Pool.
Allotment heavy clay.
1.784kw Kirk Hill
0.875kw Derril Water
0.2kwWhitelaw Brae
1kw Harlow Hydro.