Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
spread-tee

Re: COP out 26

Post by spread-tee »

It is depressing how much resistance there is to making progress.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I have a few mates have contacted me for advice on their own RE journeys. I think the best way to actively progress is person to person and then vote the GL's out on the macro view and also vote with our wallets too at every opportunity.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:33 pm I have a few mates have contacted me for advice on their own RE journeys. I think the best way to actively progress is person to person and then vote the GL's out on the macro view and also vote with our wallets too at every opportunity.
I am absolutely supportive of voting with my wallet. Every time I buy something I see it as a vote for the retailer, brand, and product. It might be only a small nudge but it helps.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Spot on Stinsy, the power of the wallet could be huge if they could all act in unison, threats of a widespread boycott of any particular "Bigcorp TM" would be very powerful.

Activism does work IF enough of us get on board

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-up-to-us

as mentioned in the article, if the politicians think there is a price to pay for inaction things might happen

Write to your MP now.

Desp
Blah blah blah
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Well well, Greta was right, blah blah blah......

more or less an exercise in can kicking, down the road for the purpose of.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mart

Post by Mart »

Speaking of 'wallet power' there is a growing boycott of Toyota due to their extensive lobbying around the World to slow down the transition to BEV's. They are currently forecasting 20% of 2030 sales to be fully electric (BEV / HFCV) and most of the remaining 80% to be PHEV's. They've campaigned in the US, UK and India (plus elsewhere) against targets/target dates to end ICEV's. Since that boycott campaign started they've now risen to number 3 in the World rankings of most influential anti-AGW lobyyists.

Such a shame, as they would almost certainly be one of the top companies for building BEV's, they have experience, knowledge and drive. Instead they have become internationally mocked for their UK campaigns of 'We choose not to plug in' and 'self-charging EV's'.

Exxon, Chevron, & Toyota Are The Largest Anti-Climate Lobbyists, Says InfluenceMap
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Absolutely Mart, I can understand (a bit) oil companies being resistant to seeing their markets drying up never to return, but as you say Toyota have experience and surely they can see which way the wind is blowing. Surely it's obvious the market is turning away from them and they will be stranded before long??

I feel this is why we need politicians to act and basically tell these companies to "go green or go away" it would not be so hard to put in place tax breaks and incentives to to help these companies to go green and to prosper while doing it, after all it's not as though there isn't a huge amount of work that needs doing.

Blah blah blah
Blah blah blah
Mart

Post by Mart »

Yes Desp, quite sad.

I've never owned a Toyota, but I've always liked them, the vehicles and the company, and the Trans-Am I bought in the late 80's was a compromise because I simply couldn't afford a Hi-lux. Plus the best models weren't for sale in the UK then because of 'car tax' (now gone) on any vehicles with extended or double cabs, and the V6 option never came to the UK (I believe).

Toyota and Honda proved the battery and motor tech with their HEV's and PHEV's, and then Nissan proved there was a market for BEV's, but all of these companies have slowed down. Mr Toyoda is actually arguing that switching to BEV's (a smaller market today) would cost Japan about 5m jobs, but it wouldn't be a switch today, it would be a transition over the next 5+yrs, and how many of those jobs will be lost when China eats their lunch because they fell behind on BEV's. China is already stealing their top talent ..... actually that's unfair, they are offering jobs, pay and BEV opportunities to the Japanese technie's who have become disillusioned with the Japanese automakers.

How could such a great company, one with an excellent reputation for technology, and one that trades on its green credentials* have done this?

*In the US, surveys place Toyota in the lead as the company most trusted to transition the country to EV's. The populace don't even know that Toyota currently has zero BEV's for sale ..... excellent PR work by Toyota, TBF.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Ken

Post by Ken »

We would like them all to totally agree but that is never going to happen. These politicians had a difficult job to do. They know what is required and what needs to be done but they have to balance the politics of COP 26 , poilitcs back home and their own politics . There is no point in agreeing to something which they cannot achieve, will get them and their partly ousted as that achieves nothing. They have a domestic audience to play to and keep their cards close to their chest.

You would not agree to banning coal production by x if other countries did not likewise agree and you are unable to do so in the time period stipulated. Instead you would go back home and pretend to do this whilst doing that and end up at the same result and still be in power.

Despite eg India not signing up to something remember they are setting up/have EV and solar production and other RE initiatives. Rome was not built in a day and Turkeys dont vote for Xmas.