Whats the story here?

Wind turbines
Moxi

Whats the story here?

Post by Moxi »

Afternoon all,

on the way home recently we were dropping down into a deep narrow valley from the peak district and saw this:

It was at Greenfield near Oldham - couldn't tell if the factory had closed and the wind turbine was being decommissioned but it struck me as a really odd place to put a wind turbine, bottom of a narrow valley, at the base of the rise to the peak district moors.

Anyone more familiar with this site and able to shed some light on it ??

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Re: Whats the story here?

Post by AE-NMidlands »

The dull grey turbine, installed by safety company TAG Limited, only has one downward pointing propeller and will be used for training at heights.
from https://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news ... rks-outcry
Richard Booley, who bought his £1.2 million house after years of searching for the property of his dreams to renovate, received a huge shock as the towering turbine rose from the near-by Tanners Mill site.

The company director, who also bought the fields between his stunning home in Hollins Lane and Holmfirth Road to ensure the panoramic valley view remained unspoilt, said: “I was just horrified, it looked like a caravan on a big stick. At first I thought it was a temporary inflatable thing but I couldn’t believe it when it was still there the day after.

“People will look at that now and ask what next, I was just flabbergasted that I did not know anything about it. If I had known I might not have bought the property.
/snip/
Another local couple, who have a prominent view of the structure, say they too did not know it was going ahead until planning permission had been passed. They said: “We are outraged that we had absolutely no say.

“We know that you can’t buy a view, but how they can put that on the edge of the Peak Park is beyond us.”
I would ask how you balance the employment provided by the training provider and maybe hospitality needed by people attending, against an industrial structure in a post-industrial area? There were lots of abandoned mills with chimneys all the way up that valley until very recently, the last one by the railway line and canal only converted to accommodation in the last month or two...
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks AE-N

That makes much more sense now, :D

Moxi
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Thanks for flagging it up. I was interested because we have some good friends who have lived just there for about 30 years, and we have had loads of walks in the area together. It will be interesting to read their comments.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!