Kris Harbour rebuilding a 2kW axial flux turbine

Wind turbines
ClockmanFRA

Re: Kris Harbour rebuilding a 2kW axial flux turbine

Post by ClockmanFRA »

That Kris is very good at UBtubing.

What i have seen him do, includes his hydro, is nothing new. But he is very good at taking everybody’s else’s ideas and just doing it for camera.

Sorry not much hope in hell of getting 2kw out of that, except off course in a hurricane winds and then that pole and tail would be dust.

Utube folk are very good at bending the truth to make it look good as click bate.

My Utube stuff, only done 2, i hated it, but my eldest lad did them. If you watch them most folk fall asleep. haha.

I know Hugh Piggott has had issues with folk using his designs going on camera/ making TV programs, and not giving him credit.

Nasty world out there.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

ClockmanFRA wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:27 pm That Kris is very good at UBtubing.

What i have seen him do, includes his hydro, is nothing new. But he is very good at taking everybody’s else’s ideas and just doing it for camera.

Sorry not much hope in hell of getting 2kw out of that, except off course in a hurricane winds and then that pole and tail would be dust.

Utube folk are very good at bending the truth to make it look good as click bate.

My Utube stuff, only done 2, i hated it, but my eldest lad did them. If you watch them most folk fall asleep. haha.

I know Hugh Piggott has had issues with folk using his designs going on camera/ making TV programs, and not giving him credit.

Nasty world out there.
Can I suggest taking a more charitable view?

Take a look back over all the years that he's documented his journey, from the time he got disillusioned with the way his life was heading, to the point where he made the decision to give up his job, move half way across the UK, to live in a tent whilst he built himself somewhere to live and be self-sufficient. He summed this up in this intro on his website, I suggest it's worth a read: https://www.krisharbour.co.uk/

His early videos are worth watching, too. This one, from 2015, gives an insight into why he chose to give up his job and make the move to Wales. What it doesn't show is that doing this resulted in him splitting up with his then partner - reading between the lines I think she may well have been less committed to his ideals than he is:

25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
AGT

Post by AGT »

Plus 1 to the last post..
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I like the fellas style. Left school at 16, boatyard, eventually lift installer, hated it (as I was with offshore) and then actually did something about it. I'll applaud 👏 ✌️ that all day long. Would have been nice if he'd said 'I took a Hugh Piggot WT overall design and tweaked it for my requirements here at this location'. But he didn't, c'est la vie, I don't see.any animosity in the lad, he's just running his own life and sharing it in the hope that others spark off of it and if he makes a few quid, why not?
I have been entertained and learned a few things, good on 'im! :ugeek:
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Joeboy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:46 am Would have been nice if he'd said 'I took a Hugh Piggot WT overall design and tweaked it for my requirements here at this location'. But he didn't, c'est la vie, I don't see.any animosity in the lad, he's just running his own life and sharing it in the hope that others spark off of it and if he makes a few quid, why not?
I checked back, and Hugh Piggott does get a mention right back in the beginning, in one of the early videos from around 6 or 7 years ago when he built or repaired the first versions of that wind turbine. He originally wound the coils for 12V, not realising that 12V would be too inefficient, over-ran the thing for years at 24V, and that last video (the one linked here) is just him swapping out the old 12V wound alternator for a properly designed 24V one.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:53 am
Joeboy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:46 am Would have been nice if he'd said 'I took a Hugh Piggot WT overall design and tweaked it for my requirements here at this location'. But he didn't, c'est la vie, I don't see.any animosity in the lad, he's just running his own life and sharing it in the hope that others spark off of it and if he makes a few quid, why not?
I checked back, and Hugh Piggott does get a mention right back in the beginning, in one of the early videos from around 6 or 7 years ago when he built or repaired the first versions of that wind turbine. He originally wound the coils for 12V, not realising that 12V would be too inefficient, over-ran the thing for years at 24V, and that last video (the one linked here) is just him swapping out the old 12V wound alternator for a properly designed 24V one.
That's great. Looking forward to seeing it run. Could defo do with a 4" drill pipe upgrade for yon wee scaffold pole. :lol: wouldn't want to see all that work shear off and hit the deck. :shock:
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

Just found the bit where High Piggott's book gets credited with the design, in a previous video where he was making new blades:

Kris Harbour Hugh Piggott credit.jpg
Kris Harbour Hugh Piggott credit.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 1947 times