Don't get me (kick) started! *another wind turbine manufacturing crowdfunder*

Wind turbines
Mr Gus

Don't get me (kick) started! *another wind turbine manufacturing crowdfunder*

Post by Mr Gus »

Oh dear, another short turbine mount affecting turbulence clearance & performance practicality which is obviously left out of the flowery funding video.

Hasn't stopped them being flooded with money though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sh ... lt=project
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Joeboy

Re: Don't get me (kick) started! *another wind turbine manufacturing crowdfunder*

Post by Joeboy »

The drone & Turbine combo would be excellent all things being equal and operational. I pitch my tent in as secluded a spot as I can out of wind and sheltered. Best of fortune to them! Its good to see that there is an appetite out there. Oh yeah, need multiple charging cables as the 1st one will be shredded the minute it rotates. Need a trademarked Bungee to attach the phone to the cowling. :)
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Tinbum

Re: Don't get me (kick) started! *another wind turbine manufacturing crowdfunder*

Post by Tinbum »

Where's the chocolate teapot emoji? :lol:
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Most USBs operate at 5W? This could be good enough to manage that?

Compared to the 500W chocolate teapots for rooftop installation in suburbia it is likely 1/100th of the power but weighs 1/10th of the former.

I like the way they mix speeds mph, kmph and m/s. Marketing hype for those that know nothing.

Not even waterproof - a canoe was shown in the vid.

I expect it will charge items - but not run them - unless the wind is a howling gale. Its internal battery is akin to a any small back-up battery for charging a mobile phone.

I see there are 13(?)of them in the pic. Thirty years experience (quoted) doesn’t mean a great deal, really!

What is the cost? Did I miss that?

As I see it, it is a portable ‘Rutland’ lookalike, nothing more, really - and likely much less. Probably mostly made on a 3D printer. Not sure of its longevity, either. They avoid quoting useful specifications.🙂

It is a gimmick and toy but may just help out a group who get lost without a charged mobile phone among them!

Even the chocolate teapot domestic roof-top thingies were probably good enough to charge a mobile phone (for later use).

RAB
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I agree on the “chocolate teapot “ front. Look at the size of the thing! Who is carrying that? What if it isn’t windy?

I carry a 10,000mWh (10Wh?) USB battery pack when backpacking. It can keep my phone and DSLR powered for a week. You can’t go much further than that without resupply because you can’t carry enough food. I know people who carry more batteries because they shoot video. However charging on the go via solar or wind might seem like a good idea, but it will not and cannot work.

Reminds me of the “lemon battery” saga. When a bunch of NGOs spent a fortune trying to launch a lemon based power system in poorer countries. (I know it will be obvious to you lot, but just in case: The power in a lemon battery comes from the magnesium not the lemons, and it isn’t an economical use of magnesium.).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Just an update.

I contacted them to ask a few basic questions pertinent to their kickstarter product.

They never answered :roll:
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more