Outgoing Octopus

nowty

Re: Outgoing Octopus

Post by nowty »

I have now been opted out of FIT deemed export payments and on Octopus Outgoing since late Nov 23 so I have a full 5 months worth of experience with it in the less sunny parts of the year so I thought I would give an update to how it’s going. :oO:

If I was still on deemed exports, I would be getting a little less than £100 a year as I only had it on my first 4kW FIT system. It was guaranteed and RPI indexed, so that’s what I have given up. My new export rate on Octopus Outgoing (anytime) is 15p / kWh fixed until late Nov. With wholesale prices currently at around 7p or 8p / kWh I am surprised the rate has not yet been lowered for new applicants but there seems to be competition in the supplier market with other suppliers offering similar deals.

Firstly, the export has more than paid for itself with the extra income on the Octopus Saving Sessions alone, as export was allowed over the last Winter. At least £200 was attributed to the export element but whether the saving sessions will run again or be as lucrative, who knows.

Ignoring the Saving Sessions, my actual export payments so far have been,
Dec - Exported 76kWh = £11.40
Jan - Exported 179kWh = £26.85
Feb - Exported 252kWh = £37.80
Mar - Exported 591kWh = £88.65
Apr - Exported 978kWh = £146.70
Total over 5 months - Exported 2076kWh = £311.40

Now, some of the leccy exported was imported at the 7.5p cheapslot price so its not all profit. Very difficult for me to work out exactly how much but comparing last years and this years import from the grid during those 5 months I’ve used an extra 298kWh which has cost me £44.70. So, already its smashed the deemed exports income with another 7 months of the higher generating months accompanied with lower heating demand months to come.

I’m starting to wonder if its possible to have a negative bill over the entire year in an all electric house with 2 EVs. :whako:

I already have a large negative bill with FIT payments and Ripple project rebates but could just my own home installed solar PV, alone power my house and transport ALL year using my octopus account as a virtual battery ? :xx:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:17 pm I have now been opted out of FIT deemed export payments and on Octopus Outgoing since late Nov 23 so I have a full 5 months worth of experience with it in the less sunny parts of the year so I thought I would give an update to how it’s going. :oO:

If I was still on deemed exports, I would be getting a little less than £100 a year as I only had it on my first 4kW FIT system. It was guaranteed and RPI indexed, so that’s what I have given up. My new export rate on Octopus Outgoing (anytime) is 15p / kWh fixed until late Nov. With wholesale prices currently at around 7p or 8p / kWh I am surprised the rate has not yet been lowered for new applicants but there seems to be competition in the supplier market with other suppliers offering similar deals.

Firstly, the export has more than paid for itself with the extra income on the Octopus Saving Sessions alone, as export was allowed over the last Winter. At least £200 was attributed to the export element but whether the saving sessions will run again or be as lucrative, who knows.

Ignoring the Saving Sessions, my actual export payments so far have been,
Dec - Exported 76kWh = £11.40
Jan - Exported 179kWh = £26.85
Feb - Exported 252kWh = £37.80
Mar - Exported 591kWh = £88.65
Apr - Exported 978kWh = £146.70
Total over 5 months - Exported 2076kWh = £311.40

Now, some of the leccy exported was imported at the 7.5p cheapslot price so its not all profit. Very difficult for me to work out exactly how much but comparing last years and this years import from the grid during those 5 months I’ve used an extra 298kWh which has cost me £44.70. So, already its smashed the deemed exports income with another 7 months of the higher generating months accompanied with lower heating demand months to come.

I’m starting to wonder if its possible to have a negative bill over the entire year in an all electric house with 2 EVs. :whako:

I already have a large negative bill with FIT payments and Ripple project rebates but could just my own home installed solar PV, alone power my house and transport ALL year using my octopus account as a virtual battery ? :xx:
And all this green crap abundance without KH or DW kicked in? 🤔 :xl:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
robl

Post by robl »

You’re an inspiration Nowty :xl:

I’m following in your footsteps - IOG, elec only household. The tariffs only been IOG for a month, so early days - but roughly we pay £2-£3/day last winter on GO electric, and this last month is approx zero/day. That’s excluding the FIT. We can still do better! I plan on lots more PV - i think another 2.8kW on the garage this year, and maybe another 6kW the following. That 6kW is why I’ve bought into Mrs Robl’s garden office request, as I see it as a handy support structure:-)
4kWp solar, EV

Diy: MVHR, 150mm EWI, 15kWh batt, 2.4kW GSHP & no gas
richbee

Post by richbee »

robl wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:42 am You’re an inspiration Nowty :xl:

I’m following in your footsteps - IOG, elec only household. The tariffs only been IOG for a month, so early days - but roughly we pay £2-£3/day last winter on GO electric, and this last month is approx zero/day. That’s excluding the FIT. We can still do better! I plan on lots more PV - i think another 2.8kW on the garage this year, and maybe another 6kW the following. That 6kW is why I’ve bought into Mrs Robl’s garden office request, as I see it as a handy support structure:-)
Loving all these outdoor projects that have gone from being an unreasonable request from our better half - to 'actually, that's a good excuse for more solar' :lol:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW