Panels overheating or simply not suited for hot weather?

nowty

Re: Panels overheating or simply not suited for hot weather?

Post by nowty »

You only had to read the single post I linked from the 45 pages. :roll:
https://camelot-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 9562#p9562

The science behind the parallel strings into a single MPPT in case your interested.
https://docplayer.net/1067023-Efficient ... acker.html

I found that with a global peak algorithm my SMA inverters do, some shading could also be accommodated. There are losses but they are small, and running a global peak algorithm when its not needed also loses a bit too. The decent inverters allow you to turn it on or off and change the scanning interval.
16.9kW PV > 101MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Tay

Post by Tay »

nowty wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:05 pm You only had to read the single post I linked from the 45 pages. :roll:

The science behind the parallel strings into a single MPPT in case your interested.

I found that with a global peak algorithm my SMA inverters do, some shading could also be accommodated. There are losses but they are small, and running a global peak algorithm when its not needed also loses a bit too. The decent inverters allow you to turn it on or off and change the scanning interval.

Alas, the E facing is a non starter ^^ - swmbo wont have it.

West + W look like I could get away with a single string and S1 seems fine as another, but S2 would just not worth it I suspect..especially for a single panel..my exposure with shading hasnt been good thus far.

PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Tay wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:11 pm
nowty wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:05 pm You only had to read the single post I linked from the 45 pages. :roll:

West + W look like I could get away with a single string and S1 seems fine as another, but S2 would just not worth it I suspect..especially for a single panel..my exposure with shading hasnt been good thus far.

Ha ha! Your roof looks like mine! My next-door neighbour has a perfect, rectangular, SSE-facing, roof that is completely unadorned. I recon he’d get 8kWp up there in a single elegant array.

The easy way to make the best of a roof like yours is to whack them all in one string and put Tigo Optomisers on the back of each panel (you can even get “Smart panels” that have Tigos built in.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
sharpener

Post by sharpener »

bit too. The decent inverters allow you to turn it on or off and change the scanning interval.
In which you wrote And as even with heavy shading, as long as 3 out of the 5 ladder store panels are in full sun my SMA shade management function works nicely, drops the voltage from around 200v down to 130v and keeps the full string current without any panel optimisers.

AIU this the lower voltage from the part-shaded array pulls the other one down even if it is not shaded.

The same current from the unshaded array and 70V lower voltage equates - to first order - to 35% of its power foregone compared with two separate MPPTs. (Actually the operating point moves to the left so the current will increase slightly, but as the graph is fairly flat here this effect will small.)
Last edited by sharpener on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
16 x 230W Upsolar panels in S Devon, ~3.9 MWh/year
8 x 405W Longi panels, 3.355 MWh/yr projected
Victron MultiPlus II-GX 48/5000/70-50 with 250/60 MPPT
3 x Pylontec 3.55 kWh Force-L2
zappi 7kW EV charger
Villavent whole-house MVHR
5000l rainwater system
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:34 am

The easy way to make the best of a roof like yours is to whack them all in one string and put Tigo Optomisers on the back of each panel (you can even get “Smart panels” that have Tigos built in.
...or bend the 200mm rule and have and upstand on the W roof to keep the string in one plane
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Tay

Post by Tay »

Tay wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Ha ha! Your roof looks like mine! My next-door neighbour has a perfect, rectangular, SSE-facing, roof that is completely unadorned. I recon he’d get 8kWp up there in a single elegant array.

Yeah dont started me on the roof.. although this one is starting to gather momentum..it might cost me a trip to Skiathos next year without me but 40/60 so far...but up from "No f***** way" several weeks back - so thats almost a yes in my book..the shrubs are just that, nothing special, I might stuggle to go further West into the Camelia and wild roses though ^^

A drone shot from last year, alas, my neighbour (lower house) now has 8 panels on the south and 3 west facing..but he was nice enough to let me get some shots of my flat roof and inspect my roof whilst his was being done..I was drooling though..
PV 1.1kWh
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

You can see my house on the left with the panels, note the 2x neighbours with much more suitable roofs, completely unadorned!

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Tay

Post by Tay »

openspaceman wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:34 am

...or bend the 200mm rule and have and upstand on the W roof to keep the string in one plane
This is looking to be the most popular, although I still feel that there are 2 definitive strings there with the E and W facing. The possible northern fence is a bit pie in the sky right now, but if I pester the one who must be obeyed enough it might become reality, I'm keeping the shoots under control right now so its doesnt fill in t too much and wont be missed ^^.
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:31 pm You can see my house on the left with the panels, note the 2x neighbours with much more suitable roofs, completely unadorned!

Its gut wrenching isnt it :(
PV 1.1kWh
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

Tay wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:56 pm
Stinsy wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:31 pm You can see my house on the left with the panels, note the 2x neighbours with much more suitable roofs, completely unadorned!

Its gut wrenching isnt it :(
Those neighbours haven't been fooled by that green/renewables nonsense! :lol:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf